The starches in wheat thicken, whilst the protein, gluten, acts like a glue when mixed with water, trapping gas bubbles in its unique elastic structure. How functional the gluten is, impacts the texture of the finished product. Refer to identifying gluten for more information.
WHEAT PRODUCTS INCLUDE:
- durum wheat
PRODUCTS COMMONLY CONTAINING WHEAT INCLUDE:
- soy sauce
- jelly lollies (often moulded in wheat starch)
- playdoh, a commonly played with children’s toy (sometimes accidentally eaten), is also made from wheat flour
COMMON INGREDIENTS LIST TERMS USED TO DESCRIBE WHEAT AND WHEAT PRODUCTS:
- wheat flour (plain, all purpose and self-raising)
- wheaten corn flour
- wheat starch
- wheat protein
- hydrolysed vegetable protein (wheat)
- durum wheat
- modified wheat starch
- maltodextrin (wheat)
- thickener (wheat)
- flavour (wheat)
- seasoning (wheat)
Note: In Australia, New Zealand, Europe and USA any ingredient made from gluten/wheat must be declared on the label. For example:
- “thickener (wheat)”means that it is derived from wheat
- “thickener” means it is not derived from gluten/wheat
With Loni’s Allergy Free cookbook, you can cook delicious, everyday foods with confidence knowing that every recipe is free from wheat, gluten, corn, yeast, dairy, egg, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame seeds, tomato and seafood.
Every recipe in Loni’s Allergy Free cookbook is wheat free.